DIGIDAMARA - Composer
We are seeking a Halifax/K’jipuktuk based composer for an exciting, experimental new theatre show!
Who are BAGEL+BALLOON?
We’re a couple who fuse together our respective practices in game design and participatory art to create new interactive experiences. Check out the rest of our website to learn more!
What is DIGIDAMARA?
Digidamara is an original interactive theatre piece inspired by the Depression-era dance marathons of the 1930s. This project will explore themes of proximity, deservingness of support, two-tiered societies, and perceptions of reality through the hybrid application of devised theatre, object puppetry and a custom digital interface.
The more players (the audience) interact, the more they discover. A devising ensemble will create the script and characters which will adapt based on the audience input into the website. Theatrical live-streamed “Roundups” full of improvised skits, movement sequences and object theatre will be made in response, brought to life with the devising expertise of key collaborators Theatre Du Poulet. As the competition picks up pace and the fictional couples are whittled down, stories deepen, relationships are shredded and remade, and a winning team arises.
Digidamara melds a website simulation of a dance marathon with prerecorded and live streamed performances – essentially an interactive theatre event driven by digital interactions. Your role as Composer will be to create the sonic persona of the pilot, including a short theme song or jingle and curation of a repeatable, radio-station like soundtrack. You’ll be working mostly remotely, with some time in online and/or in-person rehearsal with the Creative and Tech teams as needed.
We are currently designing the bones of the pilot and the sonic colour palate. Your first few days would be spent giving feedback on this proposed plan based on your expertise. We are seeking a team member who is open to collaboration and experimentation.
The project is in its pilot stage and CCA funded. There may be opportunity to work on Digidamara in the future as it grows.
Wages and timeline
We are offering $175/day (1 day is 7.5hrs excluding breaks).
Approx. 18 days from Dec 2021 – May 2022.
This project fits best around other commitments you may have and we understand that you may have other work at the same time. We will strive for set days during the week for a regular routine.
Have a read of the skills and responsibilities below!
- Digital and Analogue sample mixing with DAW software
- Original Composition
- Curation around a theme
- Proficient in an instrument
- Awareness of how to create safe spaces for all, including equity seeking groups: LGBTQIA2S+, Indigenous and Global Majority
- Excellent communication skills
- Patience, interpersonal skills
- Radio experience
- Knowledge of music from the 1930’s/Great Depression era
- Composition for games
- Creation of new music by remixing songs, potentially adding some original composition/recordings
- Curate soundtrack and potentially light voice recording
- Participate and give feedback during debrief
- Collaborate and meet with the Artistic Director, Technical Director and Project Managers to communicate needs and stay within pilot budget (we want to know how long tasks are taking and not to over work our team!)
- Hold open-mindedness during an interdisciplinary process
How do I apply?
If you think this is a good fit, click apply now and upload your resume with some samples of your work! If writing isn’t your thing, send us a 3-5 minute video telling us about your experience, why you want to be involved, and 3 samples of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline to apply: Dec.14th @ 5pm [RECENTLY EXTENDED] All applicants will be contacted when a decision is made.
**All applicants must provide proof of double vaccination to attend and be part of the project.
**Halifax/K’jipuktuk based artists will be prioritised but we are open to Atlantic or Canada wide applicants